Would you like to have ready-made story retelling displays that you could just color, laminate, and use? Don't despair, they are available! Several current series (e.g., Storytime) offer symbolized stories plus symbol displays in a range of formats to meet the needs of different learners. Two books from Mayer Johnson provide communication displays with various grids for use with a number of off-the-shelf books. Hands-on Reading (Kelly & Friend, 1993) is divided into four units (animals, food, clothing, and hygiene/body parts), representing 23 favorite stories. More Hands On Learning (Kelly & Friend, 1995) provides support materials for 16 additional books, grouped into three categories - holidays, family fun, and seasons of the year. Additional displays to provide in-depth support to off-the-shelf books are available in Emergent Literacy Display Books by Musselwhite and King-DeBaun (in preparation).
- Kelly, J., & Friend, T. (1993). Hands-on reading. Solana Beach, CA: Mayer-Johnson Co.
- Kelly, J., & Friend, T. (1995). More hands-on reading. Solana Beach, CA: Mayer-Johnson Co.
- King-DeBaun, P. (1990). Storytime: Stories, symbols, and emergent literacy activities for young, special needs children. Park City, UT: Creative Communicating.
- King-DeBaun, P. (1993). Storytime! Just for fun. Park City, UT: Creative Communicating.
- King-DeBaun, P. (1994). Storytime! Holiday fun. Park City, UT: Creative Communicating.
- Musselwhite, C., Ed. (1993). Reading Activities Project for Older Students: R.A.P.S. Litchfield Park, AZ: Special Communications.
- Simmons, T., & Young, C. (1995). Tools for literacy and communiction. Solana Beach, CA: Mayer-Johnson Co.
[EC Workshop Home | EC Workshop Guide | EC Workshop Activity | EC Tour]
[ NCIP Home | Library | Videos | Tour | Spotlight | Workshops | Links ]
This material was developed by the National Center to Improve Practice (NCIP), located at Education Development Center, Inc. in Newton, Massachusetts. NCIP was funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs from October 1, 1992 - September 30, 1998, Grant #H180N20013. Permission is granted to copy and disseminate this information. If you do so, please cite NCIP. Contents do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the Department of Education, nor does mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations imply endorsement by NCIP, EDC, or the U.S. Government. This site was last updated in September 1998.
ŠEducation Development Center, Inc.