[EDEQUITY] Gender Equity Victory

From: Kristen Galles (kgalles@erols.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 09:17:23 EST

I want to inform the list of a HUGE gender equity victory won just
before Christmas in the case of Communities for Equity vs. the Michigan
High School Athletic Association. The U.S. District Court for the
Western District of Michigan held that MHSAA is (1) a state actors for
purposes of constitutional rights and Section 1983, (2) subject to Title
IX because they control a federally funded program (interscholastic
athletics); and (3) public accommodations for purposes of Michigan's
civil rights laws. It then held that MHSAA violates all three
non-discrimination laws by scheduling girls sports but not boys sports
in nontraditional seasons. The court also entered a consent decree
which requires MHSAA to sanction 2 new girls' sports, move the girls'
state tournament in some sports to better facilities, provide more
publicity, etc. MHSAA fought us hard throughout this case and is
threatening to appeal, so we are thrilled with a COMPLETE win.

Kristen
Galles, Equity Legal.