[EDEQUITY WEEA Project Dialogues] Girls culture

From: Jill Denner (Jilld@etr.org)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 09:56:57 EST

The article that Ann Muno sent really captures the philosophy that guides
our Young Women's Leadership Alliance. That philosophy is that our efforts
to define and impact equity MUST involve girls' voices and actions. Even
though we, as adults, bring knowledge of history equity struggles, we can
not assume that we know what young people need today. Too many programs do
not involve youth in a REAL way in the planning stage. I truly applaud the
Girls RAP program and wonder how others have struggled with that balance of
including girls, but not ignoring what we already know.

Jill Denner, Ph.D.
Senior Research Associate
ETR Associates (Education, Training, Research)
PO Box 1830
Santa Cruz, CA 95061-1830

831-438-4060 x264
831-438-3577 fax