[EDEQUITY] Frequently asked Questions....

From: Hilandia Rendon, EdEquity Moderator (edequity-admin@phoenix.edc.org)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 15:33:43 EDT

As I promised, each quarter I will post sections of the EdEquity User's
Guide to remind subscribers of the listserv procedures and resources. You
can now consult the User's Guide any time you'd like if you have access to
the World Wide Web. The URL is
http://www.edc.org/WomensEquity/edequity/edeguide.htm

Here are some frequently asked questions:

1) I am a new subscriber to the discussion forums, where should I begin
first?

New subscribers can familiarize themselves with past discussions by
visiting the web site at http://www.edc.org/WomensEquity/edequity/hypermail
In addition you will receive a welcome letter from Majordomo that provides
helpful hints, ideas, and commands on how to use the Educational Equity
Discussion list. When you send your first message please introduce yourself
to the list, describing your work and goals.

2) How many messages can I post?

To allow for broad participation from the members of the list, subscribers
are limited to TWO messages per DAY. If you send in more than two
messages, only the first two messages will be considered for posting.
Subsequent messages over the limit will be returned to the subscriber
indicating that they are over the two message limit. Messages can be
re-submitted at a later date.

3) Is there a message format that I should follow?

Yes there are, here are the key points to remember:
· Relate your message to some aspect of educational equity.
· Make sure to use descriptive headings in the "Subject" line so that
others will know if that topic interests them.
· ALWAYS put your name and e-mail address at the end of each of your
postings
so that people can identify you and respond to you privately if they wish.
· When replying to someone else's message, include only a few lines of
their
original message as a reference to illustrate a particular point if
necessary. Do not reprint the entire message.

4) Can you define Educational Equity?

Educational equity refers to an educational environment in which
individuals can consider options and make choices based on their abilities
and talents, not on the basis of stereotypes, biased expectations, or
discrimination. The EdEquity discussion list is a forum to discuss
educational equity issues.

5) What are the goals of EdEquity?

EdEquity's goal is to provide a supportive on-line environment in which
those working toward educational equity can share resources and strategies,
explore equity issues, and connect educational equity research and
practice. This includes the following:

a)Encouraging the exchange of ideas and practice among diverse groups of
people who wish to explore gender equity in education.

b)Exploring, within the educational context, the intersections of gender
with race, ethnicity, class, and disability.

c)Providing opportunities for professional development in the form of
structured discussions and panels/presentations by experts in the field.

d)Promoting the identification and sharing of resources that support the
work of educators, equity advocates, administrators, and other
policymakers.

6) What does EdEquity discuss?

EdEquity serves as a forum to discuss how to attain equity for males and
females, and how gender equity can be a helpful construct for improving
education for all. Topics for discussion include, but are not limited to,
classroom interactions, curriculum development, school environment,
education reform, violence prevention, math and science education,
vocational and nontraditional education, school-to-work
issues,community-based learning, and counseling. This list gives people a
safe environment in which to ask questions and exchange information about
teaching strategies, useful texts and films, innovative programs, current
research, and funding sources.

7) What focused discussions are planned for the coming year?

Currently we have planned four for the year. Here are the titles, dates and
sample discussion questions to begin the discussions.
Gender Equity Now: Celebrating 30 Years of Title IX, to be held May 20-
31, 2002.This dialogue will kick off the discussion about the significance
of Title IX and how the field of gender equity in education has evolved in
the past 30 years. We plan to address questions such as: What has been the
impact of Title IX in the school systems at the community level? state
level? national level?; What are the current gender equity issues in
schools? How do they compare with those of the past?; How has the WEEA
Program had an effect on educational equity?; How do we redefine gender
equity in the 21st century?

Disability and Gender, August 20-24, 2002
What is the status of girls and women with disabilities, and the issues and
challenges they face? Has the school system improved in creating gender
equitable classroom environments that benefit all students? What new
resources are available for teachers, administrators and parents? These
and other questions will be discussed by our expert panelists.

Teachers Issues, November 5-9, 2002
This dialogue will focus on the current hot issues for teachers in gender
equitable education, such as how administrators and parents support their
role, and how to handle a class of 30-35 students and still meet individual
needs.

Community Service and Gender, January 14-18, 2003
In the age of service learning, this dialogue will examine this topic from
the gender equity perspective. How are girls in today's world looking at
community service through the gendered lens? What have been the challenges?
How are community agency programs better able to serve girls now than in
the past?

Thank you for taking the time to read the most FAQ's. I hope these
questions clarify and enhance communication about the EdEquity discussion
forum. I look forward to an exciting year on EdEquity especially with the
30 Anniversary Celebration of Title IX. If you have any questions, you are
always welcome to contact to me at <edequity-admin@mail.edc.org>.

Respectfully,
Hilandia Rendon
EdEquity Moderator