[EDEQUITY Equity Now] A comment..

From: Peggy Weeks (mdweeks@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 16:08:35 EDT

Thanks for this exciting topic. I've seen it all- from being told that it
was "too bad that I was a girl. Our law firm would have paid your way
through law school if you weren't." to girls now at the point of assuming
that opportunities are there for them as a matter of common belief. My
fear
is that this assumption will harm our girls. Sex discrimination is alive
and well and hiding itself in the names of "choice" and "separate but
equal.." I find it abhorrent that the federal single-sex proposal cites
and then dismisses the Constitutional arguments against what they are
proposing as if those Constitutional protections are no longer germane.
The
research out there about the California experience with single-sex schools
is enlightening. Read it.
Peggy Weeks
<mdweeks@earthlink.net>