[EDEQUITY Equity Now] Title IX: What is the next step forward?

From: Linda Purring (lpurring@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 15:05:07 EDT

Do we have both expert top lawyers and field advocates who can speak to the
legal weakness and strength of Title IX compared to the Civil Rights Act of
1964 and in the light of the fact that Title IX is only a funding law and
we
have no Equal Rights Amendment? We could also use some serious sociological
and
legal analysis of how --and why-- Title IX has been relegated to public
status
as an athletic law, with its usefulness as a defense against sexual
harassment
undermined by the Supreme Court decisions of the last five years, and by
the
acquiescence of the women's movement generally. And do we have economic
researchers and analysts who can state whether or not Title IX has indeed
provided a solid-enough basis for women to succeed in post-school economic
and
social life, both in domestic economy and in worldwide global ventures?
What is
being done to prepare the next step forward, rather than just a defense of
the
current poor position?
Linda Purrington
Title IX Advocates