[EDEQUITY Equity Now] Automatic equity protocol

From: Emile Rosenberg (RosenbergE@k12.Waltham.ma.us)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 10:57:40 EDT

Your work with the development and dissemination of competencies is
admirable. I believe we also need to permeate all undergraduate and
graduate coursework, all mentorship activities for beginning educators and
all ongoing professional development programs with ongoing sensitivity to
equity issues. We are either overcoming two decades of young educators
pre-career experiences which may include lack of awareness, indifference or
fear of taking a stand or making waves or familial stereotypes that may
exist. I have come to the point of striving for ongoing efforts to create
habit formation in staff. Whenever faced with curriculum issues,
programmatic planning, investigation of allegations of inequity or student
or parent complaints, I want staff to have an automatic equity reflection
protocol
that they have internalized and automatically utilize as an ever-present
habit.
Emile Rosenberg
Assistant Superintendent of Waltham Schools
<RosenbergE@k12.Waltham.ma.us>