[EDEQUITY Equity Now]Equity competencies for educators

From: Christy Hammer (CHammer@aol.com)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 11:00:58 EDT

Bob McLaughlin, of National Institute for Community Innovations
(www.nici-mc2.org) had organized a loose-knit group of equity workers about

five years ago to draft a set of equity standards for teacher preparation
programs. The standards would be widely distributed and voluntary for IHEs

(Institutions of Higher Ed). It was too visionary, I guess, as we didn't
get
a hoped-for FIPSE grant to do the work.

Are the "equity competencies for educators" under discussion envisioned as
*preservice* ones?

I'd love to see these developed, and then to get NCATE and other
accreditation institutions interested in them.

Christy Hammer
<CHammer@aol.com>