[EDEQUITY Equity Now]Gender equity and the cultural difference

From: Emile Rosenberg (RosenbergE@k12.Waltham.ma.us)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 14:39:45 EDT

I reviewed some recent data with our Foreign Language/Bilingual Director
which indicated that approximately 5% of the people in the world speak
English. Our enrollments in public schools in this area reflect a broad
array of immigrants with cultures and languages quite different from our
own. Sometimes, inequity of men and women is a reality in the countries
from which our students enter. It may also reflect the daily reality in
their homes where men and women have strict, stereotypical roles. This is
an issue as students attend our schools where Title IX type equity may be
quite new to them. It would be interesting to hear how you are all dealing
with the
phenomenon of culture differences.

Emile Rosenberg
Assistant Superintendent of Waltham Public Schools
 <RosenbergE@k12.Waltham.ma.us>