[EDEQUITY Equity Now]What is automatic equity reflection?

From: Darryl Bloom (darryl@ues.mps.k12.vt.us)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 16:08:42 EDT

I appreciated your comments. What do you use as a guideline for that
"automatic equity reflection"? As one of the self-appointed equity
advocates in a school,one of my major challenges is getting to that place
where the commitment and responsibility are shared by the staff. It is a
matter of developing new habits along with deeper, reflective thinking.

"Darryl Bloom"
<darryl@ues.mps.k12.vt.us>

>>> RosenbergE@k12.Waltham.ma.us 05/29/02 10:57AM >>>
Your work with the development and dissemination of competencies is
admirable. I believe we also need to permeate all undergraduate and
graduate coursework, all mentorship activities for beginning educators and
all ongoing professional development programs with ongoing sensitivity to
equity issues. We are either overcoming two decades of young educators
pre-career experiences which may include lack of awareness, indifference or
fear of taking a stand or making waves or familial stereotypes that may
exist. I have come to the point of striving for ongoing efforts to create
habit formation in staff. Whenever faced with curriculum issues,
programmatic planning, investigation of allegations of inequity or student
or parent complaints, I want staff to have an automatic equity reflection
protocol
that they have internalized and automatically utilize as an ever-present
habit.
Emile Rosenberg
Assistant Superintendent of Waltham Schools
<RosenbergE@k12.Waltham.ma.us>