[EDEQUITY]The Honolulu Star Bulletin highlights Title IX

From: Barbara Tavares (btavares@hawaii.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 15:14:27 EDT

The Honolulu Star Bulletin
<http://starbulletin.com/2002/06/23/sports/index3.html> did a six part
series
last week on Title IX and athletics. Because we do not have professional
sports in Hawaii, the school teams at both the high school and college
level
seem to take on a greater importance. Our UH women's volleyball team is a
source of pride, and right up there with UH football and basketball in
terms
of fan support.

I will be interested to see what comes of the ED commission, but several
times
in the above mentioned series, various people mentioned the problems with
the
huge budgets of football and basketball being sacrosanct, and women's
sports
(Title IX) being the scapegoat. However the opportunities given to young
women due to the opening up of athletics to women was inspiring, and many
local "stars" were profiled in this series.

I'd be interested if any other city papers/magazines did similar pieces
because of the 30th anniversary of Title IX.

Barbara Tavares
<btavares@hawaii.edu>

Sundra Flansburg Director wrote:

> For those who haven't heard already, Secretary Paige announced on
Thursday
> that ED has formed a Commission on Opportunities in Athletics that will
> look specifically at Title IX and athletics. It's charge will be to
review
> and make recommendations on how to strengthen enforcement of the
> legislation and ensure fairness for all athletes. Town meetings will be
> one of the main venues for gathering information, and the three-prong
test
> for compliance "may" be part of the review. They'll present findings and
> recommendations in January 2003--apparently ED is planning to hold on any
> change in Title IX regulations until this commission's findings are in.
>
> Few people right now seem to know much more besides what was announced
and
> what appeared in last week's Chronicle of Higher Education, but our
> colleague Percy Bates of the Michigan EAC is a member of the commission,
as
> are Donna DeVarona and Julie Foudy of the Women's Sports Foundation. If
> anyone on the list has more information, we'd be very much
interested--and
> we'll keep you updated on whatever we learn.
>
> Sundra
> Director, WEEA Equity Resource Center at EDC
> 55 Chapel Street, Newton, MA 02458
> Tel.: 800-225-3088 / 617-969-7100, ext. 2925
> TTY: 800-354-6798 / Fax: 617-332-4318
> http://www.edc.org/WomensEquity

--Boundary_(ID_4bzVSmFXoEosE38kyC+dNg)

begin:vcard
n:Tavares;Barbara
tel;fax:808/956-9096
tel;work:808-956-6194
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:btavares@hawaii.edu
x-mozilla-cpt:;1
fn:Barbara Tavares
end:vcard

--Boundary_(ID_4bzVSmFXoEosE38kyC+dNg)--