[EDEQUITY Disability] Closing Statement by Eleanor Gil-Kashiwabara

From: Eleanor Gil-Kashiwabara (gilkashi@ohsu.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 16:10:28 EDT

We have very much enjoyed the discussion this week and have appreciated the
comments, suggestions, and responses that discussion group participants
have sent our way.

In closing, we would like to emphasize that the outcomes for women with
disabilities are poorer than their male peers-and this is not to say that
the outcomes for males with disabilities are good either. We are in
agreement with Susan Foley that indeed, men and women with disabilities
could both use a little equity. It is also necessary to consider the
"triple whammy" that may be experienced by women who are members of an
ethnic-racial minority group and who also have a disability. The
disproportionate number of minority students who are in special education
combined with the under-representation of these groups in employment and
higher education is overwhelmingly dismal in itself without then
considering the issue of gender equity. The situation remains, however,
that minority women and girls with disabilities are at further disadvantage
as they encounter negative attitudes and behaviors because of the gender,
race, and disability intersection.

We look forward to sharing the outcome of our Gender and Transition study
in the future and we welcome any additional inquiries and comments that
people have for us once this discussion ends.

Eleanor Gil-Kashiwabara
and Sarah Geenen
OHSU-Center on Self-Determination
Portland, OR