[EDEQUITY Disability] Little resource in Special Education for

From: Bauman; Raquel (raquelbauman@lhs.lowell.k12.ma.us)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 09:57:24 EDT

Latinas
Sender: owner-edequity@mail.edc.org

This message is referring to the EdEquity Dialogue on Gender and
Disabilities, July 19-23, 2002

School opens the last week in August in Lowell, MA. so I had less time than
usual to participate in this dialogue. Still, the needs of people, women
and girls and Latinas in particular are of special interest. I know that
there are projects in Texas medical schools and perhaps others throughout
the country. None that I know of work directly with girls in schools. I
spent more than six years at the alternative school in Houston that houses
the Regional Day School for the Deaf and attempted several times to tap
resources on behalf of the students, most of whom are Latino, half of whom
are female. The work we did on harassment prevention and date abuse
prevention was designed by another counselor and myself since there were no
materials that we could find.

Do please keep me in this loop. The issue is an important one that gets
too little attention.

Thanks!
"Raquel Bauman"
 <raquelbauman@lhs.lowell.k12.ma.us>