Re 2: Emotional education

From: Cheryl McLaughlin (mclaughl@cats1.admin.pps.pgh.pa.us)
Date: Tue May 18 1999 - 17:33:01 EDT

You wrote:
"find being handled in the private school system either. So, we teach it at
home."

As it should, ideally, be! Schools "should" have the responsibility of
REINFORCING and DISCUSSING those kinds of issues, but the foundation,
ideally would be taught at home, whether a child is home schooled or not.

But, alas, that is not the case!
So the schools take on that function. THe school is pretty much the only
mandated "service" in a child's life -- so the school provides breakfast,
lunch, before and after school programs, and character ed.
As a parent, I would MUCh prefer to teach it at home. As an educator, I
realize that I MUST teach it at school. I treasure this awesome
responsibility in that I vow to do it well and meaningfully, but I would
rather that schools could simply teach the academic basics, and reinforce
the emotional ed that is taught at home.

> Thank you for sharing your information. I am going to research this
> area more. I hadn't thought to attach the label "emotional education" to it
but that is precisely what it should be termed.

Some schools call it character ed., or affective ed -- I've just finished
ordering a lot of materials for this very subject -- some catalogues call
it social studies, others character ed or affective ed -- I actually have
not seen or heard it called emotional ed.

On a little different note -- I always prefered teaching my kids about sex
at home too - -not quite trusting the teachers to do that job for me.
Imagine how I felt when my daughter's high school health teacher was
convicted of solicitation of sex (picking up a prostitute on a city
street), possession of cocaine, and DUI. That's NOT the kind of guy I
want teaching my kids about sex and drugs! She reassured me that he hadn't
taught many classes all year, just had them read the book while he
watched!

mclaughl@cats1.admin.pps.pgh.pa.us