Gender style and testing method

From: Linda Purrington (lpurring@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jun 01 1999 - 11:00:25 EDT

Cross-posted by Linda Purrington (lpurring@earthlink.net) with the
permission of Sara Keith:

>Sara E. Keith wrote:
>> In a comprehensive exam planning meeting this morning an interesting issue
arose. We have two methods for the exam: 1) the traditional short answer/half
day to write per questioner and 2) a single synthesis question where the student
gets the question and has a month to do a synthesis research/lit review paper.

Does anyone know whether women would test differently given these two methods?
It seems to me that the timed short answer style is less amenable to women's
aculturated learning processes, and I think I've read something on this before,
but can't remember where or when.

Any help?