Women's history on tv

From: NWHP@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 03 1999 - 14:29:54 EDT

Half the People
At home and at work, women fight for equal rights

Program premiere: Thursday, June 17, 1999 at 10pm on PBS (check local
listings)

"Half the People" is one of thirteen new programs due to debut this summer as
part of PEOPLE'S CENTURY, PBS's award-winning history of the century.
Beginning Monday, June 14, 1999, explore the extraordinary events of these
100 years through the eyes of the men and women who made and lived it-whether on
the front lines of war or the battle against racism, the fight for freedom or
the struggle for equality.

In "Half the People," those who were there remember: Gender discrimination,
Betty Friedan, The Feminine Mystique (1963), Civil Rights, equality, the
Pill, National Organization for Women, Equal Rights Amendment (1972), Roe
vs.Wade, women and Islam, UN Women's Conference in Beijing (1995). Alfre
Woodard narrates.

"It was a feeling of power, that if there's a sisterhood-that we all want to
change society-we can do it."-Jacqui Michot Ceballos, NOW Activist
(1967-1975), United States

Please visit our web site for additional program information.
(www.pbs.org/peoplescentury)
Extended interview transcripts available June 4.

Forwarded by NWHP@aol.com