Study Links HS Courses with College Success

From: WEEAPUB (WEEAPUB@edc.org)
Date: Fri Jun 04 1999 - 10:02:06 EDT

This study below underscores the importance and value of de-tracking our
schools as much as possible so that dramatically more students get to
participate in the demanding college-preparatory curriculum needed for
success in college (and careers and life).

This study affirms research performed by the College Board in the late
1980s and which became the basis for its excellent "Equity 2000" model for
urban systemic reform. The Equity 2000 program supports districts in
insisting that virtually all students take Algebra I by 9th grade and
geometry by 10th grade, because these courses in particular are very
strong predictors of success in careers and college.

The Equity 2000 program assists districts committed to such detracking
to (1) use student data to identify inequities, (2) engage parents and
family, (3) institute district policies requiring and supporting high
participation rates in college-prep courses, (4) professional
development for educators in instructional strategies, and raising
expectations of diverse learners, (5) creating academic "safety nets" such
as Saturday academies and tutoring, and (6) partnerships with
postsecondary institutions, businesses and community organizations.

I emphasize the existence of this effective reform model in order to
underscore that there is a rich array of steps educators can take in
response to the findings of the research cited below. -- Bob McLaughlin

Forwarded by Susan Carter, edequity-admin@mail.edc.org