Re 3: Making Math and Science Interesting

From: Sheri Bidwell (bidwell.14@osu.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 14:56:47 EDT

I train elementary and preschool teachers to facilitate inquiry-based,
equity-based physucs instruction. In addition to giving teachers ideas
about content (e.g., build ramps and test how ramp height affects speed of
an object traveling down them), we work on equitable instructional
strategies and building teachers' confidence in teaching physics.

I use several resources, including one that I was involved in writing:

What Will Happen If...? is an equity physics curriculum for preschoolers.
It's sold through Gryphon House Publishing and Educational Equity Concepts
(in New York). $14.95. Barbara Sprung, co-founder of EEC, is one of the
authors.

Fun with Physics: Real-life Problem Solving for Grades K-3 and Fun with
Physics: Real-life Problem Solving for Grades 4-8 was developed with
school-to-work funding. Each book contains over 300 pages of hands-on
learning activities with step-by-step instructions. It is available through
Ohio State University's Center on Education and Training for Employment.
$39.95 postage paid. Both books for $70 ppd.

If you have any questions about these resources, feel free to contact me at
bidwell.14@osu.edu.

Sheri Bidwell
bidwell.14@osu.edu