Feedback on diversity camps

From: Gae Broadwater (gbroadwater@gwmail.kysu.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 09:12:50 EDT

Last week I was asked about the availability of youth diversity camps by a
colleague. Below is a listing of the responses received. Thanks to those who
shared information. I have edited in some cases to shorten this message. Please
contact the individuals listed below if you have questions about a particular
program or event.

If you would like to continue building this list of camps, please send your
ideas and I will compile and share as the list grows. I'm sure there are many
more and this may be just the beginning of identifying a growing opportunity to
provide young people with new summer experiences.

Many wishes for the kind of summer you desire!

gae
gbroadwater@gwmail.kysu.edu

*Rural Organizing Project (Oregon)
is partnering with the Northwest Coalition Against Malicious Harassment to
sponsor the first Oregon-based Youth Leadership Institute.
1999 Youth Leadership Institute
July 18 - 22
Riverside Retreat Center
Corbett, Oregon
Youth entering grades 8 to 12, interested in social justice issues. A five-day
camp designed to enhance leadership skills, team building abilities and to
explore the impacts our individual and collective actions have on our society.

Mark Houser, ROP Network Coordinator
PO Box 1350
Scappoose OR 97056-1350
phone(503)397-5453
fax(503)397-4930
ropoffice@columbia-center.org

Anytown U.S.A.
c/o National Conference for Community & Justice
http://www.nccj.org/nccj3.nsf/htmlmedia/programs.htm

"Anytown America Inc. promotes programs which enable youth to develop respect
for racial, religious and cultural differences through education for leadership,
human relations and citizenship."

The National Conference for Community and Justice (NCCJ) (founded over 70 years
ago and known through most of its history as The National Conference of
Christians and Jews), knows that we must empower our young people to understand
and improve our nation's intergroup relations in order to transform America and
build whole, just and inclusive communities.
4-H Spaces Camp (Michigan)
A camp focused on youth of color and cultural diversity for ages 8-12. It is a
day camp that runs for 3 weeks in the afternoons. Some of the different topics
that we will discuss and have activities for are career exploration, conflict
resolution, teamwork and team building, health
and nutrition, community service and character building.
Contact:
Amanda Iott, 4-H Program Associate
1040 S. Winter St., Suite 2020
Adrian, MI 49221
iotta@msue.msu.edu

Cultural Leadership Camp
The camps started as a three day program and was expanded to a four day program
to allow for more time for cultures to break down their barriers to involvement
with different cultures. That has worked well for the most part. The
programming has included multicultural workshops, formal and informal
discussions, team-building activities, cultural crafts and games/recreation,
cultural meals, and other.

Contact:
Jim Onerheim
University of Minnesota Extension Educator
Becker County Extension Service
809 8th St. SE
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
jonerheim@extension.umn.edu