ID21

From: Rosario Gracia Luque (R.Gracia-Luque@sussex.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 29 1999 - 11:11:00 EDT

Dear All:
Please find enclosed some information we hope you will find useful.

Many thanks
R.Gracia-Luque@sussex.ac.uk

Welcome to ID21: the new Development Research reporting service

Academics, consultants and NGOs based in the UK produce a constant stream of
development research findings. Yet all too often, those who make or implement
development policy are unaware of this new information and its
policy implications. Recent developments in information technologies can help
to bridge this knowledge gap.

The UK Department for International Development is backing an Internet-based
system which links development research and researchers directly to policymakers
and development practitioners around the world through a new
website. Hosted by the Institute of Development Studies, the initiative is known
as ID21 - or Information for Development in the 21st Century. Its key feature
is a searchable online collection of short, one-page (500-word) digests of the
latest social and economic research studies across 30 key topic fields.

ID21 is now online and can be found at:
http://www.id21.org

But many users around the world have only slow or intermittent Internet access
and are therefore unable to browse the World-Wide Web as freely as they would
like. Other users simply prefer email. To cater for these
users we have created an email newsletter called ID21NEWS.

ID21NEWS brings you regular updates of the latest research findings which have
been added to the ID21 collection. A short summary tells you about each study
and a clickable web-link takes you directly to the full text
of the digest on the web, thereby saving you from navigating a series of web
pages. We are currently developing a system to enable you to request each
digest automatically via email. This should become available later this year.

How to subscribe to ID21NEWS

Simply send a blank email message to: id21news@ids.ac.uk
In the subject field include the words: subscribe id21news

(NB: to unsubscribe, follow the same procedure but substituting the word
"unsubscribe" in place of "subscribe".)

We hope you will e-mail us at id21@ids.ac.uk to let us know if you like ID21 or
if you have practical suggestions for making our online services more useful or
accessible to you in the future. And please forward
this message to colleagues who may also be interested in our service.

Alistair Scott
ID21