Re: Introduction

From: Womankind (womankind@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Oct 19 1999 - 13:30:00 EDT

In the early 1980s, I was an attorney with the Office for Civil Rights of
the United States Department of Education. Although I was involved in the
investigation and litigation of many cases involving disability and special
education issues in elementary and high schools, no one considered the dual
discrimination of sex and disability with respect to education programs.
Is anyone aware of any work by the Office for Civil Rights in this area
these days?

For example, I have read a few reports which indicate that gender
identifiable education is still far more pervasive within special education
than it is in the general education program. Furthermore, I have read
reports that this sex stereotyping extends to vocational rehabilitation
programs in terms of both career choice recommendations and career training
opportunities offered to men and women.

Stephanie Ortoleva
womankind@earthlink.net
Chair, National Organization for Women's Disability Rights Committee
and civil rights attorney