Re: Welcome to Dialogue with the Experts

From: akapur@edc.org
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 09:02:28 EST

Mary Thompson -- mthompson@alphaci.com wrote:
> I am currently working with YE/TAG on developing a teaching model called
>"Partners in Science" which brings 4th and 5th graders together with >
middle school students (who really like science and math and who serve as >
role models to the younger students) to do hands-on science......

This sounds like a pretty neat program with lots of potential for success.
There seem to be several talented program developers in this conversation.
I have a question for you all. Assuming that the program above, and others
that have been and will be mentioned, are demonstrated to be effective.
How can we keep them going for a sufficiently long period of time to effect
the generational change that's needed to evolve the society to the point
where they are no longer needed? My experience has been that such programs
are funded just long enough to demonstrate that they can work; then they
care considered no longer "innovative," and they are allowed to die. Am I
being too pessimistic? If not, do we need to lobby for a change in the
values of philanthropic organizations and government funding agencies?

Bill Lamb
<lambb@mail.oes.edu>