Re: Myra Sadker Day

From: edequity@phoenix.edc.org
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 14:41:27 EST

    Myra Sadker Day (March 5, 2000) is a day to break gender barriers.

    Visit www.sadker.org

    And What Are You Doing for Myra Sadker Day?

    Myra Sadker Days will be celebrated nationwide. Volunteers will
    individually or collectively identify, plan, and implement at least one
    activity that promotes gender equity. These activities can range from
    modest gestures to major initiatives. Here are several ideas to start your
    creative planning:

    · Read non-sexist stories to young children
    · Take someone to a women's athletic event
    · Observe classrooms to detect bias in interactions
    · Acknowledge Myra's gender equity work at a staff meeting
    · Establish an award to recognize advocates who promote equity.

    We invite you to visit our website for activity suggestions and information
    about Myra Sadker Advocates and Myra Sadker Days. You'll find articles,
    updates, and information, including:
    · Equity lesson plans for teachers
    · Activities for concerned family and community members
    · More Than 100 Ideas for Myra Sadker Day

    And don't forget to share your efforts with us. Photos, flyers,
    videotapes, and anecdotes will help us to tell the story of Myra Sadker
    Days.

    Most sincerely,
    David Sadker

    You are invited to help us celebrate the third annual Myra Sadker Days at
    American University.

    · A HERO FOR DAISY - Myra Sadker Advocates will host the Washington premier
    of A Hero for Daisy. This film is about the courage of two-time Olympic
    rower, Chris Earnst, who galvanized her rowing team to confront the
    inadequate and second-class training afforded to female athletes at Yale,
    which lacked even locker room facilities for females. Chris and her
    teammates stormed the athletic director's office naked with "Title IX"
    written across their backs in 1976, four years after the law was passed by
    Congress to ban sex discrimination in schools. The filmmaker, Mary C.
    Mazzio, took on this project in an effort to promote positive and strong
    images of women as heroes for girls; girls just like her daughter Daisy.
    < www.aherofordaisy.com >