Re: Joan O. Dawson-Opening Statement

From: edequity@phoenix.edc.org
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 09:38:02 EST

    Thank you for the opportunity to discuss this important and troubling
    issue. I have a question for the panel in general and one for Joan.

    1. For the panel: Tim gave us access to a source to examine an alternate
    assessment form for ELL students. What are some other promising practices
    for equitable assessment?

    2. Joan, could you clarify this statement from your introduction? What
    are the implications when the identification of this population of students
    is underrepresented?

    "The challenge arises when we are faced with statistics that tell us that
    the identification of gifted minority students is underrepresented by as
    much as 30 to 70% with an avarage of 50% (Ross et al., 1993, taken from
    ERIC Clearinghouse on Disabilities and Gifted Education, Ford, D.Y &Thomas,
    A., June 1997). "

    Ina Mogensen
    K-5 Science & Mathematics
    Las Vegas, NV