Re: [Fwd: Title IX Case]

From: edequity@phoenix.edc.org
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 11:26:04 EDT

    Not necessarily. The law (Title IX ofthe Education Amendments of 1972)
    was constructed to be a broad social policy for beginning to correct the
    age-old subordination of women, which impairs the democratic nature of
    the nation. The law was written to be gender-free: it talks of the
    underserved population, which could be either gender. But 99 percent of
    local situations, because we live in a world characterized by sexism
    against women, reflect that discrimination. So some programs for girls
    or women will be judged to specifically remedy discrimination. (But not
    single-sex schools/classrooms--those disadvantage the underserved
    population.)

    What I was talking about is the grossly unequal situation of the girls
    in my daughter's middle school basketball team, for example: They had
    uniforms that were falling apart, while the boys, who already took the
    best practice times and season scheduling, were given full outfits, away
    and home, from the funds provided by booster clubs, which are largely
    run by parents. It was hardly a question of the girls being lazy--they
    worked hard at car washes and so on, but parents and grandparents simply
    didn't see them as important and didn't provide the extra funding or
    attend their games (well, they couldn't--they were so badly scheduled
    parents could hardly make it in time).

    Here, the school has a role to play, governed by Title IX: to make sure
    that the inequity doesn't persist, at least as strongly, to the next
    generation. The idea is to moderate such imbalances, in the same way
    poor schools, drawing on poor areas, should have some help from much
    wealthier areas. We are, in ideal, a democratic nation, and the notion
    that all our ancestral inequities should be visted on the heads of our
    children is, thank heavens, fading.

    Linda Purrington
    Title IX Advocates
    lpurring@earthlink.net