new charter school for girls

From: edequity@phoenix.edc.org
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 18:02:38 EDT

    It is so heartbreaking to find that there is this unremitting pressure
    to form schools for girls only within the public school system, in
    violation of Title IX. I understand that well-meaning educators are
    between a rock and a hard place when they try to educate girls within
    the current system in the context of sexist society. Mind you, the
    motivation for this couldn't be closer to my heart--the current system
    has wiped the math and science out of my clever daughter--there is no
    applied or social aspect to it that seizes her imagination, as it is
    taught. But in the long term we need to change sexist society, and
    gender apartheid will not do the trick. Instead of taking our gilrls off
    into isolated enclaves, we need to lead them back into public civil
    rights movements (women's rights are civil rights) and demand the ERA,
    demand enforcement of Title IX and VAWA, and equal representation in all
    educational programs.
    Linda Purrington
    Tittle IX Advocates
    lpurring@earthlink.net