[EDEQUITY] Title IX and Football

From: Amber Valeris DeWine (Your_Honor@mail.findlaw.com.criticalpath.net)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 15:41:04 EDT

    Linda is patently mistaken in saying that Title IX does not permit women to
    participate on football teams. There is NO exemption for "contact sports"
    such as football or wrestling, and there is no legal rule against women
    competing in those sports. Title IX would not allow such a rule. If there
    were a legal obstruction to girls playing on boys' "contact sports" teams
    we would see no female football players or female wrestlers.

    There is a case going on right now at Duke University where a female
    student was not allowed to try out for the football team. She sued and
    while the District Court dismissed her lawsuit, the Circuit Court
    reinstated it. I'm not sure what the exact status of the lawsuit is right
    now, but if you go to http://chronicle.duke.edu and search for "Title IX
    football" in past issues you should be able to find articles about the
    case.

    Make no mistake, I do not believe that girls should be allowed to play on
    boys' teams, just as I do not believe that boys should be allowed to play
    on girls' teams. However, that's not the law. That's another reason why
    the law needs to be changed.

    Hugs
    Amber
      your_honor@justice.com