[EDEQUITY] Spatial Skills

From: McKevitt, Susan (SMcKevitt@ed.state.nh.us)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 17:55:40 EDT

    Hum...a couple of thoughts right off the top after reading the article.
    The most obvious to me is my caution around "innate" anything when it comes
    to males and females. I immediately got into other areas such as
    Black/White, Aryan/Jew etc. as so am careful on this one.
     The other is wondering about the data used to draw the conclusions. If I
    read the article correctly the author studied existing studies. The
    validity
    of those studies is what I question. After all, so much keeps coming to
    light about the bias in previous data collection in all areas. For example,
    doing heart attack studies and generalizing the results to the whole
    population when only males were studied.

    The chess example was interesting. That males were taught chess and females
    were not makes me wonder what if any conclusions can be drawn from this
    information. After all, I was taught chess and gave it up because I don't
    like the concepts of winning/loosing and "war" that I associate with the
    game. (I am doing an intuitive response here so know that as you read
    this.)
    I don't know if other females have the same problem with the game or not.
    And, I can see the big picture and attend to details.

    I'm also curious about art and why that is not included as a spatial skill.
    And if it were, where would the male/female breakout happen on that one?

    In summary, I'm a bit leery but open to leaning more about this.
    Sue

    "It would be extremely naïve to expect the dominant classes to develop the
    type of education that would enable subordinate classes to perceive social
    injustices critically."
    Paolo Freire, from The Politics of Education

    Susan McKevitt
    Administrator
    Career Development Bureau
    NH Department of Education