[EDEQUITY]Concerning segregated classes

From: Kay Gilliland (GillilandK@aol.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 16:27:55 EDT

Reply concerning segregated classes: I, too, spent my junior and senior
college years in an all women's school, Mills College, and have always felt

myself fortunate. Further, I support experiments in public schools, if
only
for the Hawthorne effect. I would not want all colleges and universities
be single sex, and I would not want to institutionalize single sex classes
in
public schools. The primary reason in my mind is that the public will not
adequately support financially the schools for girls by comparison with the

schools for boys. Slowly but surely, the money will gravitate toward the
boys. I understand that even prisons spend more money per person on men
than
on women. I am not willing to take a chance on the development of inferior

schools for some. We already have this situation with regard to low income

students (a large percentage of low income students' money goes for
policing
of various sorts, so be careful with statistics that say the same amount is

spent per student) to our vast shame. Instead of separating the sexes,
let's
make school more active and involving and engaging, then require the same
courteous behavior of boys that we require of girls.

Kay Gilliland
14240 Skyline Blvd.,
Oakland, CA 94619-3626
510/638-6393