[EDEQUITY WEEA Project Dialogue]Inequity about Latinos

From: Carmen Delgado-Contreras (cdcontreras@smcoe.k12.ca.us)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 10:08:42 EST

I would like to respond to Jill's question about addressing "equity
awareness" issues. When I speak with the mothers and daughters at the
parent orientation meeting which is the first time we meet. I explain
why we have the WEEA grant and what the legislation was trying to
address. I get an immediate "yes we understand" feedback. Because
traditionally Spanish-speaking mothers have experienced first hand
the inequity of being girls/women. The mothers understand the
importance of the WEEA grant and it's focus. Mothers have shared
their experiences growing up and how they had to stay home and help
their mother while their brothers were allowed to go to
school.----And they do not want the same experience for their
daughters here in the United States.

Carmen Delgado Contreras
Director