[EDEQUITY WEEA Project Dialogue]Connect activities

From: Carmen Delgado-Contreras (cdcontreras@smcoe.k12.ca.us)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 14:28:17 EST

Middle school is a difficult time to recruit girls, I agree with you.
We had a mentor program that went into middle school and it was a
challenge to have the girls attend meetings. One thing the teacher
did that was facilitating the meetings with pizza. On the day of the
meeting have surprises or prizes. The other idea is
also to connect the activity with a required class or something that
is tied to a grade. I know I wish we could do it otherwise, but it is
a challenge.

Carmen Delgado Contreras
Director
Mother-Daughter Program
San Mateo County Office of Education
Phone: (650) 802-5619
Email: <cdcontreras@smcoe.k12.ca.us>
Diana Melvin,<gut1@dakota2k.net> wrote:
I'm interested in how you recruit the girls. We have been working very
hard to recruit 100 girls for our Girls at the Center program, which is a
Hands
on Math and Science program. We are struggling with meeting our enrollment
goals. Girls are busy and quite honestly are not making the connection
between math and science and high wage careers. Any ideas?

Diana Melvin
South Dakota Women Work
<gut1@dakota2k.net>