[EDEQUITY Equity Now]Responding to Title IX question....

From: Linda Purrington (lpurring@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 10:28:44 EDT

Question:
"Melissa A. Keyes" wrote: Re: Comments by Linda Purrington. Could you
explain
what you mean by "Title IX is only a funding law"? I don't understand
that,
since to my knowledge there is no funding attached to it."

Response:
[Linda Purrington replies:]Title IX is not a civil rights law; it is a law
stating certain restrictions on the use of federal funds. That is why girls
in
private colleges and schools do not have Title IX protections against
sexual
discrimination--unless advocates and lawyers find areas of the institution
that
use federal funds, as many private institutions do. That is why schoolgirls
and
young women in colleges do not have the civil rights that adult women in
the
workplace have under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. And of
course,
until we get an Equal Rights Amendment, the Constitution does not afford us
equal protection under the laws--a situation only now being challenged by
the
very interesting case Estate of Teresa Macias v. Sherriff Mark Ihde of
Sonoma
County, now being heard in federal district court in San Francisco.

All we really have at the moment is an elaborated athletic law and public
expectation of equality--which of course is the place to stand on that we
need
to lever the world into equity...if we educate ourselves about the
world...and
organize....and act. But we are likely to suffer from the current plugs and
complacence for at least 10 to 20 years.

Linda Purrington
Title IX Advocates
<lpurring@earthlink.net>