[EDEQUITY Equity Now] Discussion of Single Sex and Title IX

From: Craig Flood (CFlood@aol.com)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 14:17:48 EDT

In searching the Internet on the proposed Title IX single sex revisions, I
came across a May 10 Minnesota Public Radio show, "Midmorning," featuring a

one hour discussion of the issue with David Sadker (American University
Professor of Education) and Leonard Sax (Director of National Association
for
the Advancement of Single Sex Public Education).

I share it here because I feel David does an excellent job of framing the
issue as a gender equity advocate, researcher and teacher educator. It
also
provides an opportunity to "hear" the perspective offered by proponents of
the revisions. It was quite helpful to understand how less than conclusive
brain research and evidence regarding gender differences is being used in
such a "matter of fact" way to promote this issue. I must also admit to
being a bit concerned with Sax' suggestion that elementary boys might
benefit
from being able to read materials such as the World Wrestling Federation
(WWF) books and magazines.

All in all, it was a worthwhile treatment of this critical issue. If you'd

like to hear the program and have Real Player capabilities on your computer

go to the following URL and scroll down to the May 10 program link:

http://news.mpr.org/programs/midmorning/listings/mm20020506.shtml

Craig P. Flood, Ed.D.

CFlood Associates
P.O. Box 2174