[EDEQUITY Equity Now] Celebrating the difference that Title IX has

From: Craig Flood (CFlood@aol.com)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 10:26:49 EDT

made
Sender: owner-edequity@mail.edc.org

Thanks for your response, Emile. I enjoyed the "picture" you drew of your
school with the descriptions of the opportunities that Title IX has made
possible for girls and boys. As I walk the hallways of my own children's
high school, I can see much of the same. As I shared in my opening
statement, girls athletics is anything but marginalized and the district's
approach to issues of sexuality and diversity has made it a much safer
place
for so many students. Your quote, "equity has become a daily reality which

will pay huge dividends" says so much about how Title IX is working in
those
schools that have taken it seriously and understand its importance beyond
simple compliance.

Your post reminds us of the need to celebrate the difference that this law
has made. At the same time, it is critical to recognize that these
successes
do not negate the need for continued vigilance and support for
strengthening
Title IX. There remain far too many schools that continue to be out of
compliance. Whether consciously in violation or not, they create hallways,

classrooms and athletic fields that are in stark contrast to the ones that
you and I have described.

CFlood Associates
P.O. Box 2174
Ballston Spa, NY 12020