[EDEQUITY Equity Now]Single Sex in question

From: McKevitt, Susan (SMcKevitt@ed.state.nh.us)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 13:54:06 EDT

I have a slightly different cut on the single sex conversation and will
offer it here for thinking and discussion purposes. I must preface this by
stating I am not naive to what is currently being attempted re: weakening
Title IX and how the forces opposing equity are continuing to gather
strength.

I have always thought that, in the interest of saving our young women from
the educational horrors that currently males and females are subjected to,
that having single sex classes to remediate the well documented bias that
schools have towards males would be a good thing. I understand the goal of
society where ones gender would not mean advantage/privilege over the
other,
in the same way the goal is for all of the other 'isms' to be eradicated
relative to privilege and subjugation.

As a rowdy in the streets during the 60's and 70's, the cry of "revolution
in our lifetime" was our belief (and our youthful dream). Digging in for
the
long haul is the more mature stance and we adults are there. What I cannot
forget, is that life for the young in school is very immediate and very
consequential. It may take 4-10 years to create decent legislation and
policies, but a youth is only in middle school for three and high school
for
four years. Their time needs are much more immediate. Therefore, while
doing
the long haul work, I see remediation/lessening the harm work also needing
to be done. It is not an either/or situation.

It is in this inclusive context that I believe creating thoughtful single
sex environments for females and males can have a very positive effect and
not be analogous to Brown, which was an imposed segregation by one
privileged group on another, in order to maintain their privilege.

I am curious if anyone can see a place for single sex classes at all?
Again,
I understand the attack on Title IX and am sensitive to adding any fuel to
that fire, but feel here is a safe place to ask the question. Thanks,
Sue
" You have to become the change you want to see"
Mahatma Gandhi

Susan McKevitt, Administrator
NH Dept. of Education
101 Pleasant St. Concord, NH 03301