[EDEQUITY Equity Now]Closing statement by Craig Flood

From: Craig Flood (cflood@aol.com)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 15:45:47 EDT

I have enjoyed the opportunity to be a part of this conversation the past
two
weeks. As already shared by a number of us, it is more than ironic that
Title IX is facing its most significant challenges as we celebrate the 30th

anniversary. Despite the many examples we have shared that show the law is

working, we have also noted the areas that demand its legislative integrity

and enforcement more than ever before.

It will require our vigilance and willingness to resist the challenges to
assure this happens. In athletics, this means the questioning of faulty
assumptions about the Title IX's negative effects on opportunities for boys

and young men. Unfortunately, the ongoing debate about the proportionality

rule is forever absent any substantive discussion of where football fits
into
the mix. I know for a fact that if a fraction of what some schools spend
on
football were reapportioned, we would not be seeing the elimination of
athletic teams at the current rate. However, as long as football rules and

remains off limits because of the revenue it brings athletic budgets, it
will
not be part of the equation or conversation and women's athletics and Title

IX will be the easy target for blame.

On the issue of single sex educational settings, I cannot imagine the
parallel of Civil Rights laws being made flexible to allow for the kind of
separation that is being proposed. Further, the research being cited is
anything but conclusive and that includes the presumptions about
nature-based
essential gender differences. Make no mistake, boys and girls in our
classrooms and schools are raising concerns and demonstrating educational
needs in different areas, but we have no evidence that separate classes are

the solution. At the same time we have ample evidence of pedagogies in
coeducational settings that effectively deal all students into the mix with

strong individual results.

Gender equity advocacy is larger than Title IX, but if we are going to
effectively meet the needs of our daughters and sons, we will need it in
supporting those efforts. I look forward to the ongoing conversation about

our work on EDEQUITY.

Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of this important discussion.

Craig P. Flood

CFlood Associates
P.O. Box 2174
Ballston Spa, NY 12020