[EDEQUITY Equity Now] Closing statement by Barbara A. Bitters

From: Barbara A. Bitters (Barbara.Bitters@dpi.state.wi.us)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 09:17:49 EDT

Please take this moment to reflect on our successes in promoting gender
equity in education. Reflect on our "call to action" and our born with the
passage of Title IX in 1972. Remember those who have come before and
welcome the newcomers. I am always in awe of the contributions by so many
people-especially my colleagues to our common mission! I have to say that
this two weeks of dialogue has comforted me, touched me, and inspired me.
appreciate the questions and thoughtful responses.

Thanks to those of you who raised and represented diversity within gender
equity. We all need to continue to articulate gender equity for men and
boys, and for culturally and linguistically diverse people. I want to
remind
myself and you that Title IX and gender equity have been challenged every
day of these 30 years. We have survived court challenges (Grove City),
lack
of enforcement (no regulations for three years), lack of resources
(elimination of Title IV LEA, IHE, and SEA projects), attacks on us, our
beliefs, public education in general, and yet we are still here, still
adapting and modifying our strategies, and still making progress!

I hope you will actively participate in AGELE. Our conference is in San
Diego, July 10-14th-see www.AGELE.com. Please consider supporting our
gender equity organizations, not only with membership, but with additional
donations when possible.

Thank you to the WEEA Equity Resource Center at EDC for providing all of us
with the opportunity to dialogue and network online and for being a
resource
to us for almost 30 years!

Barbara A. Bitters, Director
Equity Mission Team
Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
P.O. Box 7841
Madison, WI 53707-7841
fax 608-267-0364
barbara.bitters@dpi.state.wi.us