[EDEQUITY] Title IX/Non-trad. a respond

From: Meg Manderson (mmanderson@edc.org)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 16:20:51 EDT

Okay, I've got to respond to this one. My son has wanted to work in
early childhood ed for years and has been told point blank that he is
unemployable because of generalized suspicion of any man who would
want to do the work. He has wondered if it doesn't reflect a poor
self image on the part of the women involved since there seems to be
an attitude that the only reason a man would want to do the work was
if he was a pedophile!

When you add to this the heightened awareness generated by the
current scandal of priestly pedophilia and the college at which he is
studying strongly suggested he major in human services rather than
early childhood. So yes, at least in the Boston area there is strong
prejudice.

Meg Manderson
<mmanderson@edc.org>