(no subject)

From: Valenciana, Christine (cvalenciana@Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU)
Date: Tue Aug 27 2002 - 14:40:43 EDT

Subject: [EDEQUITY Disability Dialogue]Responding to Eleanor's Opening
Statement

Sorry for this late response however, our semester began this last week so
things were very hectic. I find your work on the transition from high
school for students with disabilities very interesting. Both of my
children have a disability in visual perception yet are identified as
gifted. The responsibility for making sure that their instruction is
accommodated has rested on shoulders as well as my husband. The transition
from elementary, to middle to high school is a real challenge for kids with
disabilities. In the case of my kids--they were under monitored closely
while in elementary school by the principal, classroom teachers and a
volunteer special education teacher under the rules of ADA. In middle
school it became my job to work with the counselor and teachers. In high
school, unless I call about my son, little happens! Presently, it is my
responsibility to teach him how to take a test with a scantron.

Please continue with your work.
Christine Valenciana
Asst. Professor
Dept. of Elementary and Bilingual Education
Calif. State Univ. Fullerton
<cvalenciana@Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU>