Re 7: Girl Trap at school...

From: William W. Pendleton (socwwp@emory.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 22 1999 - 17:59:05 EDT

I think the message below touches on the real problem. Where are the
adults? The principal at Colombine {sorry I don't remember if this name
is with an o or a u] asserted he had no knowledge of the student organization in
which the miscreants claimed membership. What was he doing? He did not notice
that students were wearing trench coats,
expressing odious ideas, and behaving strangely. Perhaps the school was
too large, perhaps he was excessively fearful of law suits, perhaps he
spent too much time dealing with bureaucratic procedures, perhaps no
member of the faculty nor any of the students mentioned to him the
precursor events, whatever the reason, the adults in that community failed
seriously to be involved in the community. I wonder if that is not
characteristic of many schools where the consequences are less dramatic,
but no less tragic.

socwwp@emory.edu