Re: Sexism in Kindergarten

From: Barbara Pace (bgpace@edu15.coe.ufl.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 19 1999 - 08:19:15 EDT

I use the Gallas book Sometimes I Can Be Anything: Gender and Power in a
Primary Classroom with my preservice teachers. Available from Teachers'
College Press or Amazon.com. Also Dyson has two articles "Ninja
Turtles........" and another on story that can be used to demonstrate how
gender stereotypes are part of students' ways of thinking though that is not the
explicit purpose of either of those pieces. Gallas also has an article in 1997
Women and Language on primary grade children and gender.

Good luck. I have had students do action research projects in kindergarten
classrooms with play centers and gender--the results have been quite intriguing.

Barbara Pace, Ph. D
University of Florida
Fax (352)371-6162
bgpace@edu15.coe.ufl.edu