Re: Re 5: Empowering the girl-child

From: edequity@phoenix.edc.org
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 14:59:58 EST

    In a message dated 1/31/00 1:12:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
    CBrown3@vtc.vsc.edu writes:
    Ms Brown: You did a very good and nice job enumerating the reasons why
    issues, perceptions attitudes etc. are ''stalked up against girls''.
    The interesting part of this is that one can see the difference every where
    one looks as some of your examples point out. When we are attacked by
    anyone who claims that our arguments are not valid because ''things are bad
    for boys too'' then one inmediately knows that this person does not
    fullyunderstand the issue very well. As you point out some of us close to
    the issue of gender inequities, realize very soon that boys too are at a
    great disadvantage because male supremacist culture denies them the right
    to be more knowledgeable concerning the universe that surrounds them when
    it denies them the opportunity to know what the other ''half'' of the
    world (women) has done and continues to do. However we do know that there
    is NO way to honestly claim that boys suffer the same cultural and
    educational disadvantages girls do because that is in fact NOT true.
    Thank you
    Lesemann
    C123S105L@aol.com