Re: Athletics' Equity in Georgia

From: edequity@phoenix.edc.org
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 16:45:56 EST

    Herb, thanks for sharing this report with us! I appreciate it very much!

    In reading this article there were several things that disturbed me, but
    one in particular that I have special questions about. Why should
    cheerleaders not be considered athletes?

    My sister Kimberly was a cheerleader in high school, and believe you me,
    she was just as much an athlete as I, a swimmer and diver. It seems that
    there is no valid justification for not including cheerleaders in the
    category of athletes. The only reason that it is opposed, it seems to me,
    is because it might raise the numbers of female athletes and at least slow
    the bloodletting of men's sports. Can't have that, now can we?

    Amber
    your_honor@justice.com