Re: democratic classrooms

From: edequity@phoenix.edc.org
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 10:44:54 EDT

    I have not been following this issue so forgive me if I am a bit off on
    what
    this is about exactly. However, I went to a school where the students
    pretty
    much decided the activities, and subjects to be studied and as far as I
    know
    it was the greatest educational experience I could have ever had. By the
    time
    we were in the 3th and 4th grades we were doing serious acting, writing and

    reading and we never had any discipinary problems. The teachers simply sat
    there and participated along with us and were as free to teach as we were
    learn. There was no division among these two concepts. As far as I'am
    concerned the student/teacher relationship in contemporary education is the

    reason so many kids hate school. There is very little room here for them to

    express themselves freely and to be able to interact on a one to one basis

    with their educational experience. It is worst for girls who have to sit
    there and be subjected by force, to a shameless gender biased curriculum
    that
    excludes them completely. And the teachers are the ones who, also
    shamelessly, subject their students to what amounts to garbage educational
    curriculums. There is
    NO democracy in American classrooms unless you happen to be a boy.
    Adriana lesemann
    C123S105L@aol.com