RE: Title IX softball case

From: edequity@phoenix.edc.org
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 16:38:43 EDT

    Kristin wrote: "The problem is NOT Title IX, but its unethical
    application by lazy school administrators. I have deposed MANY, MANY
    school administrators who do not have the slightest clue about what
    Title IX requires but who jump at quick fixes to avoid litigation."

    I agree and offer an example of the quick fix. I am presently working
    a complaint in one of the larger districts where the high schools need
    about 900 female athletes in the next four years. The pattern has been
    documented and duly noted and an Agreement to Resolve the
    disproportionality has been signed. Then the mandate passed to the next
    level of administration and something called "Bowling for Girls" was
    added. The addition was a knee-jerk reaction. As far as I can determine
    no one was consulted and the planning has to have been done somewhere
    over lunch on a napkin.

    Budgets were slammed together over the cries of outraged principals and
    some flimsy Tee shirts were hurriedly sanctioned as "uniforms" and
    sloppy rental balls declared, "good enough for girls." Coaches were
    hired (even those who can't bowl), notices were sent signed by "The
    Commissioner" who, it turns out, is a local bowling proprietor and
    apparently each girl who showed up had to pay $12.00 to join the team
    and the amateur association. It is crowded at the bowling lanes so some
    schools only practiced every other day and, as a cost saving practice,
    the girls walk to the alleys. We are in Washington State and rain is
    winter's calling card so they arrive daily at the venue soaking wet.
    Every other sport has a requirement for 10 days of practice before
    competition but "Bowling for Girls" completely waived that rule.
    Essentially, "Walk in off the street and compete." is the new standard.
     This list goes on... but...

    The fact is that "Bowling for Girls" is limited to five girls on a team
    and seven on a squad. Even if each of the five high schools "fields"
    two teams 7x2=3D14x5=3D60 and 60 doesn't equal 900. So we have begun a
    very painful discussion of why bowling, way down in the athletic
    interest survey was suddenly first choice by administrators. The really
    painful part of the discussion will be deciding how to decide what sport
    is next.... and next.... and next!

    The goal or the deadline hasn't changed: 900 new female athletes in four
    years!

    Herb Dempsey
    dempsy@ix.netcom.com