RE: Title IX softball case

From: edequity@phoenix.edc.org
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 11:24:08 EDT

    Peggy Weeks said, "In case after case here, the school administrators =
    have said that, although painful, they were glad that the cases were =
    brought because it made them do the right thing. It's almost as if =
    Title IX is being used as an excuse by schools to do what they should =
    have done all along and did not have the political courage to do it =
    themselves."

    I have several "successful" complaints which were filed after =
    superintendents in small jurisdictions told me privately and "off the =
    record" that they wanted me to file so they could get on with doing what =
    they knew was right. Usually in these cases there were only one or two =
    members of the community or elected members of the school board who =
    opposed establishment of equal treatment. The examples of the =
    inequality vary from banner headlines or "brick and brass" fields for =
    the boys to cutting girls to maintain lower levels of participation but =
    when a single, powerful member of a political system wants conditions to =
    continue unchanged only official and "drastic" action will tip the =
    scales. Side note: Justice is blindfolded and she can't see who makes =
    that happen.

    Herb Dempsey
    dempsy@ix.netcom.com