Fewer Women coaches

From: edequity@phoenix.edc.org
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 16:57:47 EDT

    Posted below is an exerpt from Chronicle of Higher Learning (I'm not a
    member so I haven't read the entire article). Unfortunately, equity
    goals and equity reality are two different things.

    Sharon Hushka, sharynh@earthlink.net

    Number of Female Coaches on the Decline
         According to a new study, women represent only 45.6 percent of the
    coaches of women's teams in the National Collegiate Athletic
    Association (NCAA) this year, the lowest percent of female coaches in 23
    years.

         The study also reported that of the 534 head-coaching positions
    created for new women's teams in the last two years, 80 percent were
    filled by men. Moreover, women still represent only 34 percent of
    athletics administrators in the NCAA.

         The study was conducted by R. Vivian Acosta and Linda Jean
    Carpenter, two recently-retired professors of physical education who
    have studied trends in women's sports since 1977.

         [Source: The Chronicle of Higher Education - 2 May, 2000]
    http://chronicle.com/free/equity/equitysearch.htm