[EDEQUITY] Re: help for a student

From: McKevitt, Susan (SMcKevitt@ed.state.nh.us)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 11:29:19 EDT

    If the philosophical reason included her truly held religious belief, then
    her decision to not where white would be one that the school needs to
    accommodate her on. If it is not based on her religious beliefs, I think
    she
    is into the realm of moral protest. If the school has a policy protecting
    ones moral/political beliefs she can access that policy for protection. If
    not, she will probably be dealt with the same one dimensional way all of us
    have been who challenge the "rule", that is, be considered a rule breaker
    and handled accordingly. (see quote in my signature below)
    Sue

    "It would be extremely naïve to expect the dominant classes to develop the
    type of education that would enable subordinate classes to perceive social
    injustices critically."
    Paolo Freire, from The Politics of Education

    Susan McKevitt
    Administrator
    Career Development Bureau
    NH Department of Education