[EDEQUITY] help for a student

From: Clifford Hampton (cliffh@ext.msstate.edu)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 10:55:54 EDT

    Concerning girls wearing white and boys wearing blue, this can be
    perceived as discriminatory based on Title VII and Title IX.
    First, why does the school have such a policy and is it for bonafide
    business reasons. Secondly, is this a private or public school and
    lastly, does the girl want to participate in the graduation ceremony.

    As I stated previously, this policy has the appearance of
    discrimination. When challenging these issues, time should not be
    a factor because it can take years to resolve through the court.
    Additionally, I do not expect the school's leadership to be sensitive to
    this issue unless a group of concerned parents complains.

    One Solutions is to do nothing. Another is to file an informal
    complaint. Another is for parents to caucus and file a formal or
    informal complaint. Still another is to graduate and later file a formal
    complaint within the 180 day time period or within the schools
    policy.

    Clifford J. Hampton
    Special Projects Coordinator
    Adminstration/Staff Development