[EDEQUITY] Discussion

From: Susan Smith (edequity-admin@edc.org)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 15:49:17 EDT

    Hello everyone:

    I have been asked to clarify a point from my message opening the
    discussion.

    As the intro says, the list of equitable teaching strategies was
    excerpted directly from the WEEA Equity Resource Center's on-line
    course, "Engaging Middle Schools Girls in Math and Science," so the
    focus is gender equity strategies. However, our definition of gender
    equity is inclusive:

    "Gender equity means creating an educational climate that encourages
    females and males equally to develop, achieve, and learn--without
    setting any limits on our expectations based on gender, race, ethnicity,
    disability or class."

    A gender equitable educational system will provide:
    --an equal chance to learn for females and males
    --open options to learn subjects and prepare for future education,
    family responsibilities, and careers
    --no limits on expectations due to gender
    --equal encouragement for both genders to develop, achieve, and learn
    --equitable treatment of male and female students.

    Thanks for your question.

    Susan

    Susan J. Smith
    EDEQUITY Moderator